[Tfug] Gnome usage

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 09:58:28 MST 2014

Hi Zack,

On 3/23/2014 2:58 PM, Zack Breckenridge wrote:
>> It also is a big win in those times when the system won't boot to
>> multiuser, won't mount /usr/lib, etc. -- and you are *stuck* with
>> command line.
>
> I would definitely agree having a strong knowledge of the command line is a
> great thing in general, but I feel that those who don't are probably  put
> off by things like simple tiling window managers because of the requisite
> use of the command line they entail.

I don't run any of the "flush" window managers/desktops so can't
speak to how user-friendly they may have become (?).  But, yes,
having to edit an rc file and concoct the correct "command line"
to create the required menu entry is a chore -- though it only
needs to be done once for each such command.  I think lots of
folks simply live with whatever configuration is provided as the
"default".  Of course, a default that relies on (expects) certain
applications to be present can be frustrating to a user when he
*clicks* on "emacs" and emacs isn't installed, etc.

[Note, I run NetBSD so there is no "preestablished desktop app"
that is provided to me out-of-the-box.  As such, *every* app that
might appear in a window manager's configuration file is likely
to be dubious when it comes to availability (other than vi, etc.)]

> I think there needs to be some level of advocacy of this type of software
> for day-to-day simple use, else bad user interfaces will persist.

I would expect "desktop providers" to build common configurations
for different types of users that will likely encounter the desktop.
E.g., someone who wants to surf the web and play games would tend
to want different "tools" available than someone who wants to
write code, etc.

> It's amazing how many (even technical) people can't stand a plain GUI and
> especially can't stand navigating the filesystem from the command line.
> Personally I find it much easier than a mouse 90% of the time.

Different needs tend to require different solutions.

E.g., being able to *look* at two different portions of the file
hierarchy at the same time is often helpful.  Whether that's done
in two xterms "side-by-side" (ls -al), two panes in a "file manager"
or hot-key switching between two *console* displays depends on what
you are trying to see.

Similarly, what you want to *do* can affect the choice of approaches.
E.g., I had to recently strip the first 4 characters from each line in
a (log) file; then, offset the "starting time" from the timestamp
present in the next group of characters (i.e., so the message on the
first line appeared to occur at 0:00:00.00) and then glue on the
balance of the "message".  Ain't gonna happen in any GUI tool.
Easier to pipe a few commands together or write a little filter and
redirect the output to a new file and you're done!

OTOH, when I am building a formal document, I'll do all the "writing"
(prose) in a simple "text editor" (something akin to vi) -- yet all
the typesetting in a GUI tool.  Surely not going to waste my time
remembering AND *TYPING* silly markup commands in the text!

--don