[Tfug] Fwd: Re: OT: Latex/rubber solvents

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 14:29:08 MST 2014

Hi William,

On 3/8/2014 10:05 AM, William McNulty wrote:
> I would suggest basic laquer thinner from ace hardware. It's not too pricey
> for a gallon. But i do believe it will work the best.

OK.  I bought a gallon this morning.  I'll try to make some time to
find a suitable can to place the thing in (it's an odd size and I
obviously want a can that "fits well" -- to elimate the need for extra
solvent)

> You will have to do a
> bit of scraping work on the paddels though.

That's been the problem -- the stirrer is a bunch of conCAVE surfaces.
So, things like a knife or any other straight-edged device are not
very effective.  Building on your comment re: "mechanic" in another
post, imagine trying to clean a distributor cap that had been dunked
in something rubbery (inside and out).  Some of the surface are
easy to work on -- others you'd spend hours with a "fine tool" trying
to scrape them clean.  (e.g., the underside of the *top* of the cap)

> Depending on how thick it is it
> may take a bit to get it all off. In the future you can make a paddle with
> a rod out of wood and still use it in a drill. Then you toss it out.

I made the mistake of assuming the thing wouldn't "set" in the time
it took me to paint the roof (more specifically, the time it took
to apply the last 5G bucket of paint -- as it was used to stir
that bucket as well as all the previous).

Next time, I would use the mixer I have for the drywall mud, instead.
Much simpler surface (not as contorted as this other one).

But, I also want to learn what I can use to remove/dissolve the stuff
because roof painting doesn't seem to be a "precision operation"...
the stuff gets on lots of surfaces that you'd rather it *not*.  It
would be nice to be able to remove it *after* having finished instead
of having to keep a wet rag handy and tackle each "splatter" as it
occurs.

> Hope this helps

Thanx!  I'll post back results...