[Tfug] Cabling

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 30 11:21:27 MST 2013

Hi Keith,

On 11/30/2013 9:41 AM, keith smith wrote:
> I was exposed to something like this.  The person who did the original
> cabling, enter twined the cables with the tables.  They used wire ties
> to secure the bundles.

I have these funky "clips" (no idea what they are called):
- clip adheres to table underside with that "double-sided foam" stuff
- I add a small wood screw "just in case"  :>
- clip itself has two "arms" that wrap around the cable bundle and,
   when pressed upon, "snap" together with a ratcheting action

> Was a nice job until the Janitor decided to wax and buff the floor and
> had to remove the tables.

Unfortunately (?), no janitor here!  (SWMBO would be fuming to be called
that!  :> )

> He unbundled everything and afterwards there was lots of cables to
> figure out and to put back.

This, in general, is rather straightforward.  The cables (will) "dress"
to their respective destinations.  I.e., one end is the switch (and
it doesn't matter which cable goes in each port).  Other ends will
fall "at" their intended locations.

> I think the solution would have been to create the bundle and then
> attache it to the table via wire ties.  That way the bundle could be
> removed and easily put back.

I can do this now -- though the bundle doesn't exist when all the
"clamps" are opened (it's just a bunch of wires, then).

This is important as I tend to change equipment from time to time
or decide to move things around.  So, I'd want to be able to remove
a particular cable and replace it with something longer/shorter
as things move.

> I'm also thinking starting by putting the connector on the end of the
> cable before cutting it, connect to the device, then rout it, then cut
> the other end.

Yes for two reasons:
- ensures cable is *exactly* as long as it needs to be
- lets me "thread" cable through semi-closed clamps without the bulk
   of the connector to deal with

> I put my fair share of connectors on Cat5 and it has always been a slow
> and tedious process. I'm sure there must be a better way than the way I
> do it.

I've (belatedly) discovered that someone makes connectors that allow
the individual conductors to be pulled completely *through* the
connector body; crimp; then trim the excess off.

It seems the trickiest part for me is to ensure each conductor is the
same length WHILE FANNED OUT (if you cut the cable "square", the
"end" conductors tend to be shorter than the "middle" ones.

<shrug>  I just try to hold the conductors fanned out *before* I
cut them to length.