[Tfug] Cabling

Bender bender at bendertherobot.com
Sat Nov 30 13:21:54 MST 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bexley Hall" <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:41 AM
Subject: [Tfug] Cabling

> Hi,
>
> Most of the network nodes in my office are arranged on
> or *under* a series of "tables"/benches.
>
> To keep wires off the floor, all my outlet strips are
> mounted to the underside of the tables.  Makes it a bit
> easier to get at individual power cords as well as
> plugging in additional ones.  (if I was more "anal"
> about it, I would label the cords but...)
>
> Similarly, I fasten my network cables to the underside of
> the tables -- along the back edge.  Keeps them off the floor
> *and* out of the way.  When a cable comes to the device
> for which it is intended, it simply peels out of the
> bundle and falls/rises to connect to the device.
>
> OK.  Prefab cables come in standard lengths.  Using them
> means I end up with lots of extra slop somewhere.  E.g., if
> I need 8 ft of cable to go from switch to node X, a 7 ft
> cable is too short and a 10 ft cable brings 2 ft of slop
> with it.

If ridding the process of slop is worth it for data cables, do you also make
custom power cables?
I'm serious.
If not, what do you do about the slop on power cabling?

> [BFD!  OTOH, if you have a dozen or more nodes in about that
> many linear feet, all that slop quickly becomes a tangle!]
>
> Fine.  I can build cables "to length" for each specific node.
> (lousy waste of time but the clutter that gets eliminated is
> well worth it!).
>
> Aside from the obvious (correct connectors, cable, hoods, etc.)
> are there any other concerns I should have about this approach?

Don,
I'll bet you could teach me something.
What may be obvious to you may not be obvious to others and vice-versa.
Not all cables are created equal.

What kind of cable and connectors?

Are data sheets available for the connectors?
You want to know the outer jacket diameter is to spec for the connectors.

(Otherwise the jacket crimp could get loose.
Then the cable stays attached with wires holding it.)

Use Stranded not solid wire presumably?

What material is the outer jacket made of?
e.g.
Would you use connectors on plenum rated cable?

What kind of crimper do you use?

Do you test the cables after assembly? What kind of test?

Do you care about what colors go where?
If so,
To what standard are the cables assembled to?

The only thing you couldn't practically do at home is assemble cables with
injection molded boots / strain relief / hoods.

However, it might be possible to DIY pump some thermoplastic, (say hot glue
gun glue) into the void in the connector. Using a fixture made of silicone
you could also fashion a strain relief perhaps.

Wonder if urethane is also a possibility, but the cure time might be a pain.

People in the IT/Networking business probably don't have the ability or
desire to build good custom cables, IMO.
Besides, they're busy configuring, running or setting up & tearing down the
damn boxes all day. Why would they want to have concern about possibility
for problems with home made cable?