[Tfug] Version Control

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 23:15:17 MST 2013

Hi Zack,

>> I'm reconsidering whether or not to continue with CVS
>> or switch to some other CM/VC toolkit.
>
> The obvious choices come down to Git and Mercurial.  I've used Git on

There names have come up in correspondence with colleagues.
Though none have given either a "wholehearted" endorsement.

So, why "obvious"?  :>

> all the mentioned platforms with success, although historically
> Mercurial has been better on Windows, and some people prefer it's
> command line.    Either of them will be orders of magnitude faster
> than CVS or Subversion for a larger project.   There are also tools to
> bring your existing repo's in, retaining their history.

What do you consider a large project?  Do they handle independent
(though related) projects in the same repository?

Silly example:
- C standard library can be considered a "project"
- each app that *uses* the library could be considered separate projects
- the documentation for each of those apps are each separate projects
   from the apps themselves

I.e., these things are independent but still interelated.  E.g., a
change in the app can necessitate a change in the documentation...

> Handling large binary files requires something like 2-4x object size

"2-4x" the *original* object size?  Why, do they uuencode it before
processing it?

> for either of these, unless you use an extension like git annex:
>
> http://git-annex.branchable.com

I'll look at that.

> There's plenty of good material out there on learning these systems.
> Try them out and see what you like.

Learning isn't the problem.  Finding something that fits the bill
is the real concern as I will be stuck with it for a while...