[Tfug] Version Control

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Mar 26 04:26:49 MST 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Zack,
>

>>> I'm reconsidering whether or not to continue with CVS
>>> or switch to some other CM/VC toolkit.
>>

>> The obvious choices come down to Git and Mercurial.  I've used Git on
>

> There names have come up in correspondence with colleagues.
> Though none have given either a "wholehearted" endorsement.
>
> So, why "obvious"?  :>

Well, what were their complaints?  One way of looking at things
frankly is that all VCs suck somewhere.  For me, you can pull bisect
from my cold dead hands, and I'll go to some lengths (read the git to
$VC hoops) to keep it usable.  But that's because it's a huge part of
my debug workflow.

On the other hand, if you're talking about a project with a fixed set
of N developers, group preference is probably the biggest factor.

>> all the mentioned platforms with success, although historically
>> Mercurial has been better on Windows, and some people prefer it's
>> command line.    Either of them will be orders of magnitude faster
>> than CVS or Subversion for a larger project.   There are also tools to
>> bring your existing repo's in, retaining their history.
>

> What do you consider a large project?  Do they handle independent
> (though related) projects in the same repository?

git submodules is how you do this, with git, and it has its fans and detractors.

--
Tom