[Tfug] Version Control

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 21:25:47 MST 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm reconsidering whether or not to continue with CVS
> or switch to some other CM/VC toolkit.

The obvious choices come down to Git and Mercurial.  I've used Git on
all the mentioned platforms with success, although historically
Mercurial has been better on Windows, and some people prefer it's
command line.    Either of them will be orders of magnitude faster
than CVS or Subversion for a larger project.   There are also tools to
bring your existing repo's in, retaining their history.

Handling large binary files requires something like 2-4x object size
for either of these, unless you use an extension like git annex:

http://git-annex.branchable.com

There's plenty of good material out there on learning these systems.
Try them out and see what you like.

- Zack