[Tfug] Hotplugging, (Was The 3.5.7 kernel)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 17:33:13 MST 2013

Hi John,

On 3/24/2013 11:45 PM, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM, erich<erich1 at copper.net>  wrote:
>> The more I look at this problem, the more I think
>> that it cannot be solved remotely.
>>
>> You see, I'm trying to troubleshoot  this machine over
>> my LAN, and in a world without HAL that may not
>> be possible.
>>
>> This new machine of mine runs a command I've never
>> seen before:
>>
>> rose ~ # ck-list-sessions
>>
>> I'm working on this box from Session2
>>
>> 'is-local = TRUE' and
>> apparently
>> x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'
>>
>> must be present in the session before hotplugging will work
>> has anyone else seen this command?
>
> Hmmm, I don't recognize this command either, but if I might ask, if
> you are remote then why the need for hotplugging?  If you are remote
> doesn't this preclude the ability to insert new hardware and have udev
> work its magic?

I was puzzled by this, as well.  However, I know that I often
talk to a machine "on my left" while logged into a machine
"on my right" (i.e., separated by a few feet).

I can see the possible rationale behind not recognizing
hotplug events *initiated* by the "remote" user.  But,
can't see why the OS would refuse to recognize the
introduction of a device regardless of whether someone is
logged in locally, remotely or NOT AT ALL!