[Tfug] Using a Laptop as a server

Claude Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Wed Mar 13 15:43:13 MST 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 12:30:22PM -0700, keith smith wrote:
> I've been looking at an i3 HP as a potential web server.  Of course
> it is not going to be as fast as a mini tower with faster drives,

Even if throughput isn't an issue, you should think about ongoing
maintenance and repair, including the accompanying costs and the
associated wear and tear on the notebook.  With a real machine, it's
trivial to throw in more RAM, add another hard drive, or replace the
whole motherboard if need be.  That's not the case with
notebooks--even Thinkpads, and those come with a hardware maintenance
guide.

Claude