[Tfug] Using a Laptop as a server

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 16:52:22 MST 2013

That is a good point.  I would think even a laptop can be "set and forget" for a while (3 to 5 years).  I own two very low traffic websites and would park a number of domains.  And it would deal with a small amount of email.

Originally I was thinking of using a netbook because it would be a really neat project.   Running a CentOS 6.x LAMP server on a dual core 1.6Ghz / 1GIG RAM laptop.

Last year I was able to get QMail Toaster to work on a Laptop running a 1Ghz Celeron, 256MB RAM, 14GIG HD, and CentOS 5.x.  Ran well.  Of course that was only for testing.

I'm not married to the laptop idea, just seems like a less expensive way to go and to reduce the amount of heat I get in my home office.  And it might make for an interesting experience.

Keith Smith