[Tfug] Using a Laptop as a server

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 12:30:22 MST 2013

Hi TFUG!!

A number of years ago, maybe 10 years ago, TFUG was run on a laptop for a while.  I did not notice any difference.  It was during a time when the list was a little more active.

I was thinking of hosting several websites from my home office using my Cox business account.  I do not want all the extra heat of a mini-tower and have found laptops to produce much less heat.

I've been looking at an i3 HP as a potential web server.  Of course it is not going to be as fast as a mini tower with faster drives, however I think it will beat shared hosting or even a lower priced VPS.  It probably will not compete with a dedicated or managed server, however I'm not sure I need that much power right now.  And if I do need that much power that would be a blessing and I would make the move to a server in a data center.

Any thought about using an HP i3 with 4G of RAM as a LAMP server?

Thanks!!