[Tfug] Linux kernel tcp delay options

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 13:06:39 MST 2013

Hi Adrian,

On 6/6/2013 12:47 PM, Adrian wrote:
> Does anybody know of a sysctl option to disable TCP delayed ack/turn off
> nagle? I am having a Cyrus issue which I think is do to the built in TCP
> delay/data packet aggregation, I need to temporarily turn it off to
> confirm... but there doesn;t seem to be any option to do so in the kernel.
>
> BSD uses net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack and other *nix uses similar tuning options.
> There doesn't seem to be a linux kernel option to disable.

Can you hack the source and just add TCP_NODELAY?  Since the
problem (apparently) is with Cyrus and not the entire *system*,
this seems a more prudent approach!

(Does Cyrus offer a config file similar to Samba that would
allow this to be specified therein?)

HTH,
--don

(You might also try running everything on a NBSD host just to
test/prove this hypothesis.  A "stock" NBSD system installs in
just a couple of minutes...)