[Tfug] Cabling

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 16:05:42 MST 2013

On 12/2/2013 1:37 PM, bender at bendertherobot.com wrote:
> AFAIK, In industry the paradigm is:
>
> PC----patch cable----lan drop----wiring closet ---- patch
> cable---switch/whatever

Yes.  And in the case of my office, you have:

PC ---- "cable" --- switch/whatever

where "cable" can be viewed as "patch cable" *or* "lan drop".

Move all of your workstations into your server room, then
shrink the room... *then* think about it!  :>

> Between the lan drop and the wiring closet is terminated with bulk cable
> by contractors who should know rules about plenum space / penetrations,
> etc.

This isn't always the case.  "People" think that because it's NOT
"line voltage", they can play fast and loose with it and often don't
understand the needs for different types of cable, run length
limitations, avoidance of nearby EMI/RFI sources *and* Code
requirements -- "it's just a wire"  <shrug>

> Of course, users plug in premade patch cables from "the wall" to their
> PC. Then the network guy or whoever has access to the controlled space
> in wiring closet does the patch there...

In my office, the "wiring closet" is "one end of a table".

> NEC for low voltage wiring is not up to (can't think of the word) the
> rigor of computer based (can't think of the words)
>
> That's why there are BICSI certifications and design that electrical
> contractors can't perform to . I really hate when electrical contractors
> do LAN wiring..What a mess.
>
> I worked at a place where one of the partners let the electronic
> technicians wire long runs of silver-satin four conductor POTs wire
> between the phone sets and the phone switch.

"it's just a wire"  :<

It's amazing how many homeowners (and contractors!) seem to think
that way!  I regularly walk the neighborhood and see lots of
"Romex" just stapled to the outside of houses -- no EMT, etc.
A neighbor has a ceiling fan in the middle of their living room
(8 ft ceiling) -- never lift your arms above your head, there!

<shrug>