[Tfug] Cabling

bender at bendertherobot.com bender at bendertherobot.com
Mon Dec 2 13:37:19 MST 2013

AFAIK, In industry the paradigm is:

PC----patch cable----lan drop----wiring closet ---- patch
cable---switch/whatever

Between the lan drop and the wiring closet is terminated with bulk cable by
contractors who should know rules about plenum space / penetrations, etc.

Of course, users plug in premade patch cables from "the wall" to their PC.
Then the network guy or whoever has access to the controlled space in wiring
closet does the patch there...

NEC for low voltage wiring is not up to (can't think of the word) the rigor
of computer based (can't think of the words)

That's why there are BICSI certifications and design that electrical
contractors can't perform to . I really hate when electrical contractors do
LAN wiring..What a mess.

I worked at a place where one of the partners let the electronic technicians
wire long runs of silver-satin four conductor POTs wire between the phone
sets and the phone switch.