[Tfug] Cabling

Bender bender at bendertherobot.com
Mon Dec 2 17:38:45 MST 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bexley Hall" <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Cabling

> Hi Tyler,
>
> On 11/30/2013 7:51 PM, Tyler Kilian wrote:
>> Most shops I've seen don't build custom patch cables.
>
> Most shops don't *need* custom patch cables IN THE SERVER ROOM.
> OTOH, I've not seen any that *didn't* roll their own cables
> out to the bullpen (cubicles)!
>
> I.e., in server room you can find a place to hide a foot or
> two of cable.  Even times 20!
>
> You could argue that you could find a place to hide an extra
> *10* ft of cable on a run out to the bullpen.  So, why not buy
> 50', 60', 70', 80', 90', etc. premade cables and pick the length
> that fits the job?
>
> Ah, well, figuring out what that length should be is often a
> problem (if you guess low, you have to unstring the drop and
> start over).  And, running a cable with terminated ends is
> harder than plain cable -- esp if you have to go through
> fire walls, between floors, etc.
>
> Easier to run bare cable and terminate it "to length".
>
> (The *crews* that do this do it day in, day out.  Putting a
> connector on a cable is ~60 seconds.)
>
>> With 10Gbaset creeping in, it's getting tough to build.
>
> I'm only running Gb here and, for short runs, even CAT5e
> works (if I opt to go this route, I'll probably buy a quarter
> spool of CAT6 as the cost isn't an issue).
>
> OTOH, *hiring* someone to wire that one room is insanely
> expensive!
>
> Things were *so* much easier with 10Base2!  Easy to make the
> cables, daisy chain wiring (instead of star), trivial connector
> attachments, etc.

OMG!

Missed this part... *so* much easier?  I beg to differ.

I worked at places that had 3com servers which were later upgraded to Novell

Easy to make the cables, perhaps. Not easy to make them so they work well...
over time.

Some knucklehead moves their PC and something gets loose. Then at once a
bunch of people are off the fileserver and can't print. To find the problem,
the LAN administrator travels the bus on their hands and knees under desks,
verifying connections.

Where are the terminators? Is only one end grounded? What kind of ground?

Uh oh! Section 2330 moved and a week later some other section moved in. Uh
oh! The LAN is down. After days of consternation and wasted time, it turns
out the movers or someone trashed a cable under a heavy file cabinet. It was
reused a week later because it looked good and suffered a casualty that was
only measurable by a TDR unit...

Then the solution was.... BUY FACTORY MADE PATCH CABLING...

Use of UTP and physical star is a wonder!!!! OMG!