[Tfug] Cabling

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 00:29:49 MST 2013

Hi Tyler,

On 12/1/2013 10:16 PM, vaca at grazeland.com wrote:
> What I'm saying is that a common industry job would use purchased
> and certified cables in varying lengths and use these everywhere
> other than the runs from a wiring closet or central consolidation
> area.  Those runs from the wiring closet to your office are often
> done with bulk cable and terminated into jacks and patch panels.

Yes -- that was the point I was making about a "crew" to tackle
this (with experience).  I've seen many businesses have their
IT guys (or "maintenance staff") tackle this thinking its nothing
more than running a *string* from point A to point B!

> The reason that users/tech support are often responsible for the
> cable from the jack to the computer is because it doesn't require
> any training...simply use an appropriate length cable, pre-made,
> packaged, and certified.  Why send an expert to click a modular
> plug into a modular jack?

Sorry, I misunderstood!  <:-(  I was assuming you were talking
about the above...

In my case (at least for the office), it's any or all of the above.
I.e., the servers, workstations, "infrastructure", users are all
handled with this one "wiring issue".

There's no "modular jack" into which a user can insert a modular
plug for a pre-made cable.  The only jacks are those on the switch
and the individual "machines".

The servers are tethered to the (ahem) "corporate switch" with
fixed wiring -- though the wires tend to have very fine differences
in their lengths.  (26', 28', 30', etc.)

It's as if each "user" was connected directly to the same switch
IN THE SERVER CLOSET that all of the servers share -- with no
intervening "infrastructure".  An engineering department in a
single room!  :<

The rest of the house more directly reflects a "commercial
installation" -- central switch, infrastructure bringing drops
into each room, patch cords from those jacks to individual
machines (e.g., the switch in my office), etc.

> Hope this clarifies what I was saying.

Yes, thanks!