[Tfug] Recommendations for hassle free desktop wireless card

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 00:38:55 MST 2013

Yes I would say so. There is certainly a more permissible attitude toward
binary blobs in these popular/commercial distros. Unfortunately, due to
many vendors attitudes about releasing code for (or even just documentation
on) their hardware drivers and firmware, if you're looking for a "no
hassle" Linux desktop (and in my experience the two biggest impediments
have recently been display and wireless drivers), I'm not sure what choice
you really have?

Debian seems to be behind the Kernel curve by design, for reasons of
stability, etc. Speaking from recent experience, if you have to use Debian
on new hardware you will probably have to recompile your Kernel or at least
the drivers you need (if they are even available in 2.6!).