[Tfug] Graphics card opinion

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 14:38:13 MST 2012

Hi Steve,

--- On Fri, 10/12/12, Steve B <steveb7 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are you married to the ATI idea?  Or, the "cheap"?  (I think I
>> have a spare PCI-E card you could have -- full slot, half
>> slot??)
>
> No, I was just an opportunity to obtain  to get what I
> thought might be a better card than what I had. IIRC it was
> a 3450 with 256M and both a DVI and a DP connector.

OK, I'll see what I've got stashed aside.  I don't typically
use video for much more than high resolution 2D/3D CAD (no
gaming) -- and, only in WindBlows machines (since the tools
available for FOSS are pathetic, by comparison) so I'll have
to see if this would be a step up, down or sideways for you...

>> Where did you find this information?  Does it include any
>> numerically identifying information (part numbers, etc.)?
>> Photos?
>
> I got it off of a Dell support URL.
> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19377487.aspx

Hmmm... so you're not the only one in this boat!  :<
(Amusing to see how eagerly "Dell - Chris M" followed through
with his offer to:

"Let me know on this thread if you need additional assistance"

(NOT!)

OK, so, from JUST THE LITTLE THE OP MENTIONED, Chris M was able
to conclude that he had "the wrong kind" of mainboard.  The
OP mentioned:
- Mini Tower
- e7400 CPU
Something in this (above) information allowed him to rule out
the Quad core option!  We just have to figure out what -- and
see how that relates to what you have.

Apparently, the Opti760 comes in 4 different packages:
mini tower, desktop, small form factor, ultra small form factor.
Examining the SM's for each of these "models" indicates that
no two of them share a mainboard.

Since you have a PCI-E slot, I can assume you do *not* have
the USFF model.  How many *other* slots do you have (or, do
you know which of these other 3 models is yours?)?

Since Chris M acknowledged the Mini Tower as "supporting two
mainboards", the fact that the OP *had* a minitower wasn't
what indicated "the wrong" mainboard!  So, it must have been
the declaration that he had an e7400 CPU that allowed that
deduction (unless there is a back-channel of information
between him and the OP that we are unaware of).

Note the list he included in his reply:
38G73 E7400, 2.8GHz, 3MB, WFD, R0, (With VT)
F31F5 E7500, 2.93GHz, 3MB, WFD, R0, (With VT)
06YMG Wolfdale Dual Core E7600, 3.06GHz, 3MB, 65W, R0, (With VT)
H399J Wolfdale Dual Core E8400, 3.0GHz, 6MB, 65W, E0, 1333FSB
D923J Wolfdale Dual Core E8500, 3.16GHz, 6MB, 65W, E0, 1333FSB
N654J Wolfdale Processor E8600, 3.33GHz

I'm guessing the first column is the Service Tag for a particular
machine configuration.  So, the OP has a "38G73" machine.

What's your service tag?  Perhaps we can find a similar list
of compatible processors from that point...

>> I.e., can you even identify *what* board you have (not *which*
>> of those two boards) in any meaningful way (part number, legend
>> in the silk screen, etc.)?  And, from that, search to see what
>> it ties to (in a FRU list, etc.)?
>
> I've looked for those two numbers on the board but so
> far have not found them. I've asked on the same board
> where to look or how find them but never got a response.

Delightful!  ;-)

No, I wasn't suggesting "those two numbers" but, rather, *any*
identifier that looks to be board/assembly specific (and NOT
a serial number).  Then, see if a search for *that* identifier
ultimately brings you back to one of these two numbers.

E.g., there are lots of Sun video adapters called "CG6".  Looking
for "CG6" and trying to get a UNIQUE part number is different than
taking a particular part number and tracing it back to "CG6"!

>> Before you go too far down that road, *really* examine the
>> electrolytics on the motherboard, carefully (i.e., not a
>> casual examination but a CAREFUL INSPECTION).  I've
>> encountered a large number of Dell machines (including
>> three -- different models! -- of my own) that I've had to
>> re-cap to varying degrees.

I should add that at least one of those models was a server
class machine (triple redundant power supplies, fans, etc.)

>> Pay particular attention to those proximate to the CPU.
>> These see much higher ripple currents *and* operating
>> temperatures and are likely to fail quickest.  I suspect
>> you'd be mighty pissed to upgrade a CPU and discover the
>> machine is now *past* the tipping point for reliability!  :<
>
> I'm familiar with the bad caps issue, but I did not see
> a need to check the board since I could never find the
> aforementioned code numbers.

Understood.

Let's explore teh service tag route.  I think it is also
visible in the "BIOS Setup" somewhere -- which could confirm
any sticker on the outside of the case.

Are we having fun, yet?  :>

(Now I have to go fix my other half's Windows machine before
I end up on her Shit List)

--don