[Tfug] Graphics card opinion

Steve B steveb7 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:54:25 MST 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Are you married to the ATI idea?  Or, the "cheap"?  (I think I
> have a spare PCI-E card you could have -- full slot, half slot??)

No, I was just an opportunity to obtain  to get what I thought might be a
better card than what I had. IIRC it was a 3450 with 256M and both a DVI
and a DP connector.

> Where did you find this information?  Does it include any
> numerically identifying information (part numbers, etc.)?
> Photos?

I got it off of a Dell support URL.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19377487.aspx

> I.e., can you even identify *what* board you have (not *which*
> of those two boards) in any meaningful way (part number, legend
> in the silk screen, etc.)?  And, from that, search to see what
> it ties to (in a FRU list, etc.)?

I've looked for those two numbers on the board but so far have not found
them. I've asked on the same board where to look or how find them but never
got a response.

> Before you go too far down that road, *really* examine the
> electrolytics on the motherboard, carefully (i.e., not a
> casual examination but a CAREFUL INSPECTION).  I've encountered
> a large number of Dell machines (including three -- different
> models! -- of my own) that I've had to re-cap to varying degrees.
> Pay particular attention to those proximate to the CPU.  These
> see much higher ripple currents *and* operating temperatures
> and are likely to fail quickest.  I suspect you'd be mighty
> pissed to upgrade a CPU and discover the machine is now *past*
> the tipping point for reliability!  :<

I'm familiar with the bad caps issue, but I did not see a need to check the
board since I could never find the aforementioned code numbers.