[Tfug] USB hang

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Aug 7 20:55:01 MST 2012

On Tuesday 07 August 2012 20:00, Zack Breckenridge wrote:
> But if the Southbridge (including PCI) died, wouldn't the CD drive not
> be working either? Or could some sort of partial functionality still
> allow this to work? Also, he can type "ifconfig eth0" in the terminal
> in Knoppix -- so his keyboard is working, and probably his mouse
> too...
>
> And the fact that pointed me to a potentially older Kernel version (in
> Knoppix) was that "the LAN works fine" (and maybe you meant your
> entire LAN/router wasn't fried by lightning?) but the network
> interface was not available in Knoppix specifically -- meaning that
> when booted from the Live CD, no driver was available to attach to the
> network card. This could also just be the way Knoppix configures their
> "generic" kernel - maybe your network driver got left out?

I took "LAN works fine" to mean his switch/router/etc. was up, but the eth0
would not init on that particular machine. The southbridge contains multiple
components and multiple busses. It could be that the SATA port (say #1 & 2)
connected to the hard drive is directly connected the chipset, while the SATA
connected to the CDROM (#3 & 4) is off a different embedded controller, or a
completely different PCI bus off the chipset. The keyboard/mouse could be
PS/2 or one USB host, while the USB ports on the back panel a completely
different host. Not quite enough information

Adrian