[Tfug] USB hang

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 20:00:48 MST 2012

But if the Southbridge (including PCI) died, wouldn't the CD drive not
be working either? Or could some sort of partial functionality still
allow this to work? Also, he can type "ifconfig eth0" in the terminal
in Knoppix -- so his keyboard is working, and probably his mouse
too...

And the fact that pointed me to a potentially older Kernel version (in
Knoppix) was that "the LAN works fine" (and maybe you meant your
entire LAN/router wasn't fried by lightning?) but the network
interface was not available in Knoppix specifically -- meaning that
when booted from the Live CD, no driver was available to attach to the
network card. This could also just be the way Knoppix configures their
"generic" kernel - maybe your network driver got left out?

Perhaps it's because I'm mostly a software guy, but when I hear
"freeze" or "hang," I tend to think "kernel panic," which of course
could be caused by any number of hardware failures :) Anyway, my
recommendation before buying anything (expensive anyway) is somehow
burn a (12.04+) Ubuntu live CD and try that out.