[Tfug] USB hang

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Aug 7 19:12:43 MST 2012

On Tuesday 07 August 2012 17:47, erich wrote:
> I know,
>            I can't test the "bad hard drive" theory because this is the
> only SATA machine
> that I have. One would like to drop the drive into another SATA machine
> and see
> what happens.

I would disagree with the "bad hard drive" theory if the indicated facts are
right. So to recap, I saw:
1) system died, will no longer boot (off a SATA)
2) network interace is now missing
3) detects USB but a device immediately hangs the machine

That doesn't sound like a USB issue. That sounds like the southbridge chipset
on the motherboard has fried. The northbridge controls the CPU/memory, that
sounds to be working as the machine will POST. The southbridge interfaces to
the various peripherals, USB, SATA, PCI, etc. You can still boot from a CD,
so something in it is working, but sounds like it suffered a major failure
(caps, lightning, soda spilled, etc. take your pick).

Could a USB devie damage the system? Yes but highly unlikely, particularly if
that device wasn;t separately powered.

I would guess the SATA drive is just fine. Simplest method would be to head
over to SWS and pickup a USB to SATA/IDE converter cable. There is a great
one that is silver/blue with a rectangle on the end, only runs a few bucks
but turns a full-size IDE, mini (laptop) IDE, or SATA drive into a USB drive.
Easy to then plug into any system and verify the data is still there..

Adrian