[Tfug] USB hang

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:03:48 MST 2012

Actually, I failed to answer to question of whether a USB device can wreck
a system, because I don't know. I can tell you that power over USB was
never intended to be used the way it is today - it's become standard, but
that's because so many USB devices were pulling more power than the specs
"allowed." It was possible, so hardware designers just did it (you know,
like making USB powered battery chargers and lamps - USB was not originally
made for this purpose). So even though I can't answer you positively on
that, I'd say It's probable.

However, it being USB 2.0 does not guarantee its being supported by the
Linux kernel, even the latest kernel. That depends on a couple factors:

- did the manufacturer of the USB device contribute drivers for the Linux
kernel, or just Windows?

- if not, did they release the specs for the device?

- if they did release specs, was a driver written by a Linux developer, and
when?

That's why I asked for uname output and dmesg output, because I can
probably take a look at the kernel source for you and tell you if a driver
was available at that time, amongst other things.

Its sounds like all the hardware worked just find with Myth before
something failed, so obviously drivers became available at some point.

Hope I can help with your problem!

Zack