[Tfug] USB hang

erich erich1 at copper.net
Tue Aug 7 16:16:39 MST 2012

OK,
        I have a DVR system that runs MythTV. I also use it to watch
internet news clips with
a browser and look at various forms of entertainment with an external
USB hard drive.
         The other day the system froze: moving the mouse got no
response. The keyboard
froze. I had to shut it down by holding the power button in.

          It's in my shop now. It won't boot from the SATA drive, but
Knoppix will boot.
First I thought I was a victim of a lightning strike, but there is no
evidence. The
TV antenna works fine. The LAN works fine.

         Here are the facts:
                        1)  I cant get the network interface to run: I
type ifconfig and
                              eth0  is not present.

                        2) Knoppix detects the USB ports, but when I
plug any USB
                             device into any port the system freezes, (I
tried a thumb drive
                             and a USB mouse)

                        3) A USB hard drive was plugged into it at
moment of freeze.
                             I checked it on another system, and my hard
drive is OK,
                             and my other system is OK. (Yes this took a
lot of nerve.
                             Bugs can be contagious.)

           My first question is can a faulty USB device damage a USB
system? (I don't
have the nerve to plug the USB mouse into any other system)

           My 2nd question is can there be some kind of short? The case
has vent holes
on top and debris may fall in.

Cheers,

Erich