[Tfug] Commodore 64 turns 30

Rich Smit rfsmit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 09:50:44 MST 2012

My first computer, shared with my brother. The SID is what really got
me into music, not the violin. The VIC2 was wonderful to write for
too, but I think I spent most of my time playing games. Particularly
Llamasoft and Hewson, but many Mastertronic (now Codemasters), and who
can forget waiting 15 minutes to play The Hobbit, only to have Elrond
thump a warg over the head with The Curious Key and then crash?

The motor control on the Datasette got fried after somebody at the
local computer club decided it would be fine to borrow it with it
switched on. It still worked: the motor just ran constantly. Slightly
annoying, so my brother wired in a manual switch. Got a 1541 later,
and experimented with writing for the 6502 in there. Once the idea for
a 1541 fastloader came out, it became useful.

Commodore never knew what it had, and continued that trend with the
C128, C16, and Plus/4. I mean, who names a computer after *trousers*
for goodness sake? Oh and the Amiga. Definitely had no clue with the
Amiga. I can imagine the stuffy execs fretting over their serious
business products being used for *idle fun*.

Rich.