[Tfug] A really, really interesting job opportunity...

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 18:37:51 MST 2012

I feel your frustration.

States may deny the "right to vote" for other reasons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States

Your logic would say my 1st Amedment rights are being violated because I cannot afford to rent a venue where I can hold a rally (your poll tax equivalence).

The state must be violating my 2nd Amendment rights by no providing me a gun, especially if I cannot afford one.  After all it has been held by the Supreme Court of the US that I have the right to bear arms.  If it is my right then why didn't the government insure I was able to bear arms.

The 5th Amendment calls for due process "...be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.".

Given your argument the state must give me property since property is a right.  They must also give me life and liberty.  Unabridged I must add since you are arguing the right to vote is a blanket right without restriction.

I can make much of the same argument for the 4th Amendment.  I must be provided things because without thing and places the 4th Amendment is not a right.  Who is to provide me with these things and places?

We all have rights and liberties that are subject to some restriction. These simple rules create structure and order.

I'll stop here.  I've made my point and now I must move on.

Keith Smith