[Tfug] GRUB

Kramer Lee krameremark1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 13:25:49 MST 2010

Ubuntu and Debian have startupmanager, which really helps in setting
grub to work the way we want, and it works for grub 1 and grub 2.  It
is n;;ice for grub2 because you don't have to know all those rules
about what file to change and then run update-grub or whatever.

Once you boot in linux andd get a root shell then fdisk -l gives the
partition list.

In the mean time I had some real fun.  I have a D800 with a 160GB IDE
drive.  The bios only recognizes 137GB.  Well, I had set it up so it
would only use 120 GB of it and everythingn was fine.  Then I had to
expand the C drive as it was getting too full, so I was squeezing some
other partitions but they were getting too full also.  Well I made a
mistake of opening up the last 40G with PartedMagic, and then, the
real mistake, having windows try to format that.  It ram for about a
half second and said there was some error, and to restart, and when I
did all Linux partitions and one windows partition were gone, just two
partitions left.  After that, PartedMagic saw the same thing but of
courswwse couldn't repair it,  It did have Test Disk, so I ran that,
and that found all the partitions, and put them back together using
all four entries in the MBR , making what was one primary partition
and about 8 logical partitions into 3 primary partitions (not
includint the etended partition) and 5 logical partitions.  I think
windows really messed up some partition table entries as even after
Test Disk got them all back, PartedMagic just says ithe whole disk is
unallocated, whereas PartitionMagic says error 105.  Well PartInfo,
lists a lot of bad things in the partition tables, like one partition
extends way past the end of the disk.  What a mess, but the D800 runs
just fine off that "unallocatred" IDE drive.  Of course now I am
tryingn to figure out how to fix that, so first I am dd-ing that drive
onto another same size drive, and will work on that.  This is such an
interesting result.

I think the  D800, being, according to google results, the onlly one
that hasn't had its bios updated to handle more than 137 GB, probably
had some strange thing in the hardware design so that it can't handle
more than 137 GB no matter what they do in the bios.  This D610 runs a
250GB IDE drive just fine.