[Tfug] ThinkPad T61 Debian KDE Wireless

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 19:56:59 MST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 06:50:10PM -0600, JD Rogers wrote:
>> I should look at that. If I remember rightly, knm just stopped
>> associating with my wireless AP at home. It would switch to wired at
>> the lab ok, but suspending and resuming to my home would just fail. No
>> error or any timeout of any kind. It would see the AP, but when I
>> selected it, it would immediately show 'disconnected' with no
>> explanation.
>
> Network-manager (and networking in general) is kinda a mess, so it's
> hard to know if its the same bug or not.  For me (and what a bunch of
> Debian users ran into), it was that they changed how network-manager
> recognizes managed versus non-managed interfaces such that all of a
> sudden it didn't want to manage previously managed ones.

Ya, I thought that the interfaces file always required that no line
existed for that interface to allow NM to manage it. In any case, I
didn't have any. But I really doubt NM was the problem as I could
always see availible wireless AP's using nm-tool. It was the kde
applet that failed. Just ot be sure, I just did a reinstall of nm-kde
and double checked the links you suggested, but still no love. Then I
tried nm-gnome and it sorta worked but at least gave a searchable
error. I purged nm and related packages, reinstalled, and am now
connected via nm-applet.

Maybe if I get ambitious, I'll have another go at nm-kde.

>> As for a CLI tool, its odd. I though nm-tool did most of that
>> already. Anyway, I just have network aliases defined in my
>> /etc/network/interfaces file and it's pretty easy to type "ifup
>> wlan0=home" when i get home.
>
> nm-tool only reports the daemon's status; cnetworkmanager let's you
> control it, making scripting possible.

Ah, good call. That could be useful.

JDR