[Tfug] Another CC* weighs in....

Malcolm Schmerl mjs355 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 17:16:18 MST 2010

First of all, note that the word 'hell' was never capitalized and never
used in a religious context.

Secondly, children are not stupid. Hiding things from them only serves
to stimulate their curiosity. Eventually they will seek to satisfy that
curiosity and do so without parental guidance. Good parenting involves
guiding children into life, not censoring it for them.

Christian Conservatism is, in my view, extremism. It is also a minority
view that actively seeks to impose its standards on the rest of us. I
used to quietly accept this, but as I age, I've realized that somebody
needs to speak out against this tyranny of the minority. Is it not
stated in the Constitution that we have a right to freedom of religion?
As I see it, that also means 'freedom from religion.'
This sort of thinking is responsible for many of the world's ills from
Nazi Germany to present day Iran to the Taliban. In all cases, a
self-righteous minority, insisting that their way is the only way,
imposes its will on the entire population. I was born Jewish and
throughout my life I've had to let a lot of thoughtless comments go, but
at no time did I ever demand that anyone tiptoe around me. If you object
to the word 'hell' so vehemently, then who knows what you'd object to?
Don't ask me to tiptoe around you; either suck it up or avoid me. I will
respect anyone's right to believe what ever they want just as long as
they allow me to live by my own standards.

Are there not much more important transgressions to be thinking about?
For example, the rape of the Gulf of Mexico by oil drillers is an
immorality of far greater importance. Are you hiding this from your
children, too? Are you concerned about what kind of world they'll inherit?