[Tfug] Virtualbox

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 04:31:08 MST 2010

Perhaps you were concerned that you would need to start over installing
after upgrading hardware.

Unlike windows, which begins hyperventilating if you change hardware
underneath it, linux tends to not care too much.  A change the CPU should be
minor enough to not cause problems. There is one exception, the coreduo is
32 bit, and the core2duo can be run in 64bit. If you install 32bit ubuntu
and then switch to a core2duo, you won't be able to switch to 64 bit without
reinstalling.

On the other hand, installing is so quick nowadays, you won't loose that
much time if you do decide to reinstall after upgrading the hardware. You
can backup /home and /etc on a flash key, and copy your home files back over
and use /etc as a reference for any setting you change.

JDR