[Tfug] Virtualbox

Ammon Lauritzen allaryin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 02:43:37 MST 2010

It looks like the T2050/T2250/T2300E/T2350/T2450 are the only Core Duo
that lack VT-x support (http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx).

My experience is that some older systems that have the hardware
virtualization options required you to turn it on in the bios. If
there is no option to switch it on, I recommend just firing up
Virtualbox - it's not a huge download and it will detect the
extensions for you.

I see no reason to wait. The only thing you really need VT-x for is
performance - otherwise you can still install windows and get all of
your network settings and guest additions ironed out while waiting on
the bigger processor.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
> SOME of the "core duo" Intel CPUs still had hardware virtualization, at
> least among the laptop variants.  The T2400/2500/2600 series are 32bit-only
> but have hardware virtualization.  I recommend pulling up Intel's exact spec
> sheets - you can usually google "intel" with the CPU model number and get
> Intel's specs as one of the first few hits.
>
> If you don't have hardware virt, setting everything up under Vbox and then
> switching CPUs later (turning hardware virt ON in Vbox) works just fine.
>
> Jim
>
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Steve B <steveb7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am in need of some general advice. Recently I picked up a socket 775
>> machine. Currently it only has a CoreDuo, but it can accept up to a
>> Core2Quad. I'd like to install Ubuntu and then setup Virtual box to run some
>> version of Windows. Would I be better off waiting till I can replace the CPU
>> with a Core2 to gain hardware virtualization, or can I set it all up now on
>> the CoreDuo and upgrade the CPU later? What problems if any might I run into
>> if I choose to run it on the CureDuo now? What problems might I have if I
>> start off on the CoreDuo, then upgrade to a Core2Quad?
>>
>> Steve

Ammon Lauritzen