[Tfug] Firefox security plugins

rlumpy rlumpy at comcast.net
Sun Aug 8 16:38:43 MST 2010

On 08/08/2010 12:39 PM, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:
> On 8 Aug 2010 at 10:50, Dennis McCormick  wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM,<earljviolet at deserthowler.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> ... extremely effective security plugins for Firefox. ...
>>>
>> While I wasn't there, you may want to try NoScript which controls the
>> running of java scripts.
>>
> Here are add-ons for Firefox that I use which have security implications:
>
> AdBlock Plus (a must-have IMHO) blocks adverts from reaching your browser.
>
> OptimizeGoogle - anonymizes your Google UID and removes even text adverts from
> Google pages.
>
> UserAgentSwitcher is very useful for accessing paywall or login-required sites
> like the NYT and the WSJ -- just set your UserAgent string to googlebot and you
> don't need a password for many sites.
>
> Certificate Patrol alerts you to changes in https:// certificates since your
> last visit to the site.
>
> UnTiny expands TinyURLs (and many others) so you're not surprised by
> redirection to somewhere you didn't want to go....
>
> BetterPrivacy protects you against the accumulation of Flash cookies or "Super
> Cookies" which can bypass your attempts to delete cookies.  May need special
> config for Linux to find your Flash cookies folder(s).
>
> Permit Cookies and Cookie Culler allow you to handle cookies in a much more
> granular way than standard Firefox cookie handling.
>
> TACO - Targetted Advertising Cookie Opt-out - not sure if it will work with
> Linux.
>
> Torbutton allows you to toggle Tor on and off easily.  Again, not sure if it
> will work with Linux.
>
> Link Alert changes the cursor type to match the type of link so you know if the
> link is a PDF, an image, etc, or if it's going to open in a new tab/window.
>
> Close'nForget closes a tab, nukes any cookies associated with the domain, and
> removes that domain's entries from your browsing history.
>
> HTH
>
> Angus
>
> --
> Angus Scott-Fleming
> GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona
> 1-520-290-5038
> Security Blog: http://geoapps.com/

Those are great, Angus. I'd be an unhappy browser without Adblock,
although I suppose I subvert the advertising revenue of the whole internet.

Let me add a couple that I use:

WOT -- Web of trust --  gives a rating for each website.

Facebook Purity -- lets you block Facebook apps and messages that you
don't want to see. Requires Greasemonkey.

Rich Lamoreaux