[Tfug] Firefox security plugins

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Sun Aug 8 12:39:17 MST 2010

On 8 Aug 2010 at 10:50, Dennis McCormick  wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM,  <earljviolet at deserthowler.com> wrote:
> > ... extremely effective security plugins for Firefox. ...
> While I wasn't there, you may want to try NoScript which controls the
> running of java scripts.

Here are add-ons for Firefox that I use which have security implications:

AdBlock Plus (a must-have IMHO) blocks adverts from reaching your browser.

OptimizeGoogle - anonymizes your Google UID and removes even text adverts from
Google pages.

UserAgentSwitcher is very useful for accessing paywall or login-required sites
like the NYT and the WSJ -- just set your UserAgent string to googlebot and you
don't need a password for many sites.

Certificate Patrol alerts you to changes in https:// certificates since your
last visit to the site.

UnTiny expands TinyURLs (and many others) so you're not surprised by
redirection to somewhere you didn't want to go....

BetterPrivacy protects you against the accumulation of Flash cookies or "Super
Cookies" which can bypass your attempts to delete cookies.  May need special
config for Linux to find your Flash cookies folder(s).

Permit Cookies and Cookie Culler allow you to handle cookies in a much more
granular way than standard Firefox cookie handling.

TACO - Targetted Advertising Cookie Opt-out - not sure if it will work with
Linux.

Torbutton allows you to toggle Tor on and off easily.  Again, not sure if it
will work with Linux.

Link Alert changes the cursor type to match the type of link so you know if the
link is a PDF, an image, etc, or if it's going to open in a new tab/window.

Close'nForget closes a tab, nukes any cookies associated with the domain, and
removes that domain's entries from your browsing history.

HTH

Angus

--
Angus Scott-Fleming