[Tfug] How about this for weird wireless.

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 04:53:20 MST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Charles R. Kiss
<charles at kissbrothers.com> wrote:

> Firstly, the wireless services, knetworkmanager, from kubuntu i386 on
[snip]
> Here's the really weird: I get back to the ThinkPad, boot it or reboot it,
> can't remember, and the root=UUID=xxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx can't be found!!
> So I get "dropped" into a shell.

Yikes. Sounds like a fun few days for you.

Not sure why, but it looks like the drive UUID changed. You need to
update /etc/fstab with the correct UUID of the drive which you can get
from running blkid. Also, if it starts to boot, but drops out to shell
part way through, it looks like grub is fine, but fstab is munged, so
you can check the menu.lst and see if the uuid there is different.
Also, if that fails, you could just put the /dev/sda1 or whatever
devicename in fstab to get it working.