[Tfug] How about this for weird wireless.

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Mon Apr 5 22:10:04 MST 2010

Firstly, the wireless services, knetworkmanager, from kubuntu i386 on ThinkPad T61 is running very well except for two things. One, I have to let the desktop fully load after a boot -and wait for the kde-wallet window to appear, to put in a password etc. If instead I start up Firefox beforehand, it will mess everything up (somehow) and I will have to reboot and do it the only way it works, waiting for the kde-wallet.  Two, the knetworkmanager applet doesn't work, nor from the menu.  I have to go to "Settings">etc. Other than that it works great.

The Really Weird for me is this: after doing some network cable sharing between my printer and the girlfriend's ThinkPad (during the period when the wireless wasn't working), the printer stopped printing.  No surprise, no problem. I rebooted the router, and the printer, (and the THinkPad is ON, and wireless ON, this whole time -maybe), and from my Debian desktop, I download the NEW hplip for my desktop (because I'm having problems getting the printer online, so I think to switch to a newer version of hplip while I'm doing this), I "add" the "new" network printer, run some commands, like xhost +, hplip.run, etc. and having some problems, etc.  This is a wired network printer. I'm adding ip addresses in cups, checking the DHCP client list on my router, noticing the ThinkPad hostname is gone, I'm trying to get the "foomatic-rip-hplip" to be found, etc.  having a little trouble... etc.  Finally, I get the printer to work, print a test page. Great!

Here's the really weird: I get back to the ThinkPad, boot it or reboot it, can't remember, and the root=UUID=xxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx can't be found!! So I get "dropped" into a shell.

Well, I boot up the Vista to check hardware, get the wireless working, new hostname on the DHCP client list, but still the same Alert! booting up the kubuntu.

Now what???

CHarles

--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is privileged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.