[Tfug] windows to Linux

Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com
Wed Sep 23 14:50:56 MST 2009

interesting

Respectfully,
Liz, Data Base Architect/Developer,
Methods Engineering

"Charles R. Kiss" <charles at kissbrothers.com>
Sent by: <tfug-bounces at tfug.org>
09/23/2009 02:14 PM
Please respond to
Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>

tfug at tfug.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Tfug] windows to Linux

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:23:30 -0400, <tfug-request at tfug.org> wrote:

> The unidentified partition may be a "system restore" partition
> (for the Windows OS).

If it isn't too late to comment on this, I did install an Ubuntu OS onto a
Lenovo laptop with a factory installed Windows Vista OS. Afterwards, he
GRUB screen showed two "Windows Vista" operating systems, labeled
identically, one on (hd0,0) and the other on (hd0,1); both (loader)s : one
booted the Vista operating system; but the other booted a Windows Vista
restore partition -which if booted, appears to lead one through a complete
reversal of the installation process, or who knows what else.

I imagine the Windows OS prefers to believe that the new Ubuntu install is
a mistake.

Anyway, I since edited the grub menu file with a hash mark in front of the
title of the restore partition, thus making it invisible to the user.

Charles
--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is
privileged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options:

This email (and all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain privileged and/or proprietary information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply