[Tfug] windows to Linux

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Wed Sep 23 14:14:45 MST 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:23:30 -0400, <tfug-request at tfug.org> wrote:

> The unidentified partition may be a "system restore" partition
> (for the Windows OS).

If it isn't too late to comment on this, I did install an Ubuntu OS onto a Lenovo laptop with a factory installed Windows Vista OS. Afterwards, he GRUB screen showed two "Windows Vista" operating systems, labeled identically, one on (hd0,0) and the other on (hd0,1); both (loader)s : one booted the Vista operating system; but the other booted a Windows Vista restore partition -which if booted, appears to lead one through a complete reversal of the installation process, or who knows what else.

I imagine the Windows OS prefers to believe that the new Ubuntu install is a mistake.

Anyway, I since edited the grub menu file with a hash mark in front of the title of the restore partition, thus making it invisible to the user.

Charles
--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is privileged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.  Thank you.