[Tfug] why not wicd

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 08:15:20 MST 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 7:40 AM, erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the update.
>
>        There's a third party router manufacturer, (from Dubai of all
> places), That makes
> a device that handles cell modems:
>
>                                        http://www.dovado.com/
>
>        In theory they are the ones that handle the interfacing. You get the
> firewalled
> RJ-45/ Wifi AP service. They have a list, (mostly European), modems that
> they
> support. I sent them an e-mail with photos of that little A600 bugger. Stay
> tuned.
>
>                                   Erich

That sort of thing is VERY common now.  Best Buy has one, I used to
use the Kyocera KR1 until it broke, there's one off-the-shelf at Best
Buy (I forget the brand).

Verizon now has a device about the size of a laptop 2.5" HD (with no
shell, just the drive) that has almost 3hrs battery life and inboard,
has both a cellmodem (that can be connected USB if you want) and a
WiFi transmitter good to 30ft or so.  You can use it either as a USB
cellmodem or as a cell-to-WiFi router.

Still, if the goal is to do the A600 on a budget, adding a router
seems excessive esp. since we CAN get the A600 working with some minor
diddling.