[Tfug] gcc and glibc

erich erich1 at copper.net
Mon Sep 7 20:19:36 MST 2009

Yes,
            There tends to be a craze in the Linux community to get the
latest & greatest.
That is, the latest kernel or compiler. First of all, these things are
biggies: Their proper
functioning is fundamental to the proper functioning of all else that
runs in a particular
system. Second of all, Occam's Razor must be noted if you want to turn a
profit:
"entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity"
            I'm not proud. I work with gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.6.1-r0.
"Ancient" you say, but
remember one thing:  software gets all kinds of upgrades, but hardware
tends to
be static. (My father was a preacher. Some of it rubbed off on me.)

End of sermon,

Erich