[Tfug] gcc and glibc

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Mon Sep 7 21:34:29 MST 2009

Nathan England wrote:
> I'm curious, if you were to build a system from scratch, what gcc and
> glibc versions would you use?
Ok, I gotta ask cuz I just don't get it. Why? Why spend the hours
watching your computer churn and burn as it compiles your system? And
then have it not work like you want it to; having really nothing to show
for the effort. I have never understood this. My son used to use Gentoo
and compiled everything. I would laugh because while I was *using* my
computer he was compiling.

Is it a case of: Q) Why climb Everest? A) Because it is there! or
something else?