[Tfug] Hackintosh

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 22:22:41 MST 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Marco Savo<savomarco at gmail.com> wrote:

> and what is the legal status of doing this? Do I need the original Dvd Mac
> os X, and that's enough for legal status?

Responding to just this point, if you've bought a copy of the OS,
you're not a "pirate", but you're in violation of the license
agreement on the box ("for use on Apple hardware").  And Apple is
liable to try and hunt you down with evil auto-updates at some point.

BUT, if you look at some of the lawsuits Microsoft has lost, there's
some real questions as to whether or not Apple can do what they're
trying to do.  For example, back in the Windows 3.1 through 3.11 era,
Windows would try and detect DR-DOS underneath it rather than MS-DOS.
At first it would put up a warning, and then later Windows would
commit suicide if it saw DR-DOS underneath it.  Microsoft eventually
paid $200mil in a civil suit over that insanity...suggesting that
people who "buy software" (really, "buy a license to use it) DO have
rights regarding what they use it on, even if your idea of where it
should be used conflicts with other marketing ideas of the software
vendor.

In other words, the licensing clause Apple is putting in there is
itself of questionable legality.

I AM NOT A LAWYER.  THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

Jim