[Tfug] Hackintosh

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Sat Sep 5 09:13:45 MST 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:22 pm, Jim March wrote:

> "for use on Apple hardware"

Please. Don't make it up if you can't be bothered to google it.

 From the 10.6 EULA:

> "A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this
> License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license
> for the Apple Software, you are granted a limited non-exclusive
> license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software
> on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You agree not to
> install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded
> computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow
> the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time,
> and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network
> where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time."

And from the 10.5 EULA:

> A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one
> (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer
> at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software
> on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.
> This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more
> than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple
> Software available over a network where it could be used by
> multiple computers at the same time.

Clearly, they decided to change the language from "Apple-labeled" to
"Apple-branded". The reason being that you get two (2) Apple logo
stickers with the OS. These could be regarded as labels. So you could
have an Apple-labeled towel, if you were so inclined.

The thing is though, that it displays the Apple brand. So applying
the other sticker to a computer instead of a towel means you do
indeed have an "Apple-branded" computer. It wouldn't stand up in
court, but since when has an EULA been legally enforceable? Just
because it's written in legalese and uses crap like "five (5)",
doesn't mean it's a legal document.

I don't have any worthwhile ideas why they don't explicitly say
"Apple-designed computer", or "Apple computer manufactured by or for
Apple under contract". If it's considered clunky and difficult to
parse, they could define a term at the beginning of the document, and
use that throughout.

Rich.