[Tfug] iPods

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Tue Sep 1 08:42:07 MST 2009

Don Freeman wrote:
> I spent some time last night playing with the file system on my 30gig iPod.
> You CAN copy files to it via drag and drop BUT it appears the iPod software
> uses some kind of database to manage them. So the bad news is that while you
> can copy them, you probably can't play them. However, if you are willing to
> tolerate windows, there are many alternate desktop softwares available to
> manage the files other than iTunes. Just Google iPod software. I wasn't able
> to find any Linux versions though. :(
>
> - Don

I'm jumping into this conversation late (I didn't read any of the
earlier posts), but this caught my eye.

There is a tool called gtkpod that will let you load your iPod from
Linux.  You have to hack it a little (edit a text file on the iPod, and
put in a string captured from some other utility) but it will let you
upload songs, it has functionality to upload photos but I rarely get
this to work on my 3G Nano. Uploading video works fine.  There's other
versions of gtkpod that have built-in support for the AAC codec I think.

http://www.gtkpod.org

Jeff