[Tfug] HALP! DynDNS nightmare, again...

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Sun Nov 22 20:17:57 MST 2009

On 20 Nov 2009 at 11:00, Jim March  wrote:

> OK, I'm still stuck but I think I've narrowed it down.  Here's the sitrep:

Jim

Pardon my ignorance of your setup.  Is it like this:

Internet <-> Dlink DIR-628 <-> LAN

or like this:

Internet <-> ISP Modem/Router <-> Dlink DIR-628 <-> LAN

??  I can't figure out from your earlier messages.

Also excuse me if this is too basic, slap me upside the head for insulting you,
I don't mind.  If this doesn't apply, just recycle the electrons.

If it's the latter, perhaps this info will help.  The DynDNS client doesn't
care about double-NAT setups like this, but port forwarding does.  One way to
check is to check the WAN IP of the Dlink DIR-628 from the DIR's web interface.
If it's a private IP (e.g. 192.168.x.x) then the problem is the ISP
Modem/Router is not forwarding ports.  You would need to get into ITS control
panel and fix that, either by setting it to bridge mode or by forwarding all
ports to the Dlink box.

HTH

Angus

--