[Tfug] HALP! DynDNS nightmare, again...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 04:04:09 MST 2009

> or like this:
>
> Internet <-> ISP Modem/Router <-> Dlink DIR-628 <-> LAN

Like that.  Coax Comcast line coming into a Motorola cable modem, then
Ethernet to a Dlink router, then WiFi to computer.

Another thing...

Jordan suggested an alternative to DynDNS.  But...I have a bad feeling
about that.

See, if I go to the Windows machine and go to "whatismyipaddress.com"
I get a valid number (72.x.x.x - I forget the exact number).  Same one
the Dlink says is going on, at the router's console via 192.168.0.1.
On the internal LAN, the DLink is doing DHCP up through .199 by
default, so I have this computer set to .200 via static addressing.
And I have the DLink set to forward port 5900 and several other remote
console typical port numbers to the .200 address inside the router.

Great.

I also have DynDNS set to do a "friendly name" sorta like
"userspecific.dyndns.com".  When I try and remote connect via
"userspecific.dyndns.com" it fails.

BUT it also fails on 72.x.x.x - which means DynDNS isn't my problem,
is it?  Something else is going on!?

Looking at it again, Jordan suggests:

https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/free/features.aspx

...which seems to use a different sort of protocol than uVNC.
So...yeah, worth trying, bigtime.

I'd still like to know what went wrong with the conventional approach though.

Jim