[Tfug] USB drives

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat May 16 13:22:21 MST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry McGregor" <micros>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug>
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] USB drives

> Bexley Hall wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a temporary need for a sizeable archive (to store
>> snapshots of a large database during development).
>> Seems like 3.5" drives max out around 500G - 750G.
>> Anything bigger than that goes to 2.5" laptop drives (?).
>>
> No, Laptop drives stop at 500GB currently.
>
> Seagate, WD, Hitachi, and Samsung all make larger (1TB and
> larger) 3.5"
> drives.
>
>> What sort of experience have folks had with these
>> external "portable" USB drives?  Assuming I physically
>> protect the drive (i.e., so it doesn't get bumped off
>> the table!), have they been proven reliable?  Are
>> there shortcomings on throughput imposed by the USB
>> interface *or* increased rotational delays?
>>
> Cooling would be the biggest issue
>
> Setup a small desk fan near it (Walgreens $10 special, or
> something like
> that), unless the enclosure has a fan in it
>> Recommendations on particular models?  I'm probably
>> looking
>> for 1-2TB total.  Note that my need is actually only
>> temporary so I'll need to repurpose the drive(s) later
>> (media server?).  As such, this plays a possible role
>> in selecting the device(s) to use.
>>

> If you want the most flexibility, buy a drive and an
> enclosure separately.

It seems the answers are pretty much the same as the last
time Don asked this question.

I still agree with Harry that cooling is a very important
issue.

The way I put it is; it depends on your duty cycle. If you
constantly hitting the drive, it will overheat in most of
the add-on POS cheapo enclosures. (even if you are giving
the enclosure a walgreens style blow job) You see, most of
the enclosures don't have a way to vent air through the
case. You must count on heat from the drive to conduct
through the case. The Walgreens fan helps out quite a bit.

> Here are some drive options (you can change to search to
> by price):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%20103530090%201035507776&ActiveSearchResult=True
>
> The only 2TB drive currently on the market is quite
> expensive, and is
> not a true 7200 rpm drive (though the density does help
> make up for that
> a bit):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344
>
> Enclosures (sata - > USB)
>
> If this is temporary this would be useful:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817147082
>
> This enclosure has good reviews:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159098

I like how this one looks. I'm going to try one... Thanks.