[Tfug] USB drives

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Fri May 15 09:15:42 MST 2009

Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a temporary need for a sizeable archive (to store
> snapshots of a large database during development).
> Seems like 3.5" drives max out around 500G - 750G.
> Anything bigger than that goes to 2.5" laptop drives (?).

No, Laptop drives stop at 500GB currently.

Seagate, WD, Hitachi, and Samsung all make larger (1TB and larger) 3.5"
drives.

> What sort of experience have folks had with these
> external "portable" USB drives?  Assuming I physically
> protect the drive (i.e., so it doesn't get bumped off
> the table!), have they been proven reliable?  Are
> there shortcomings on throughput imposed by the USB
> interface *or* increased rotational delays?

Cooling would be the biggest issue

Setup a small desk fan near it (Walgreens $10 special, or something like
that), unless the enclosure has a fan in it
> Recommendations on particular models?  I'm probably looking
> for 1-2TB total.  Note that my need is actually only
> temporary so I'll need to repurpose the drive(s) later
> (media server?).  As such, this plays a possible role
> in selecting the device(s) to use.

If you want the most flexibility, buy a drive and an enclosure separately.

Here are some drive options (you can change to search to by price):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%20103530090%201035507776&ActiveSearchResult=True

The only 2TB drive currently on the market is quite expensive, and is
not a true 7200 rpm drive (though the density does help make up for that
a bit):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

Enclosures (sata - > USB)

If this is temporary this would be useful:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817147082

This enclosure has good reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159098

                   Harry