[Tfug] USB drives

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 11:53:14 MST 2009

--- On Fri, 5/15/09, Harry McGregor <micros at osef.org> wrote:

> > I have a temporary need for a sizeable archive (to store
> > snapshots of a large database during development).
> > Seems like 3.5" drives max out around 500G - 750G.
> > Anything bigger than that goes to 2.5" laptop drives (?).
>
> No, Laptop drives stop at 500GB currently.
>
> Seagate, WD, Hitachi, and Samsung all make larger (1TB and
> larger) 3.5" drives.

Friends in the industry indicate that we are pretty much at
the tipping point where 3.5 production will be replaced with
2.5 production.  I don't know how long that takes to filter
through the supply chain, though.  :<  But, it's significant
if you are planning on reusing devices in the future

> > What sort of experience have folks had with these
> > external "portable" USB drives?  Assuming I physically
> > protect the drive (i.e., so it doesn't get bumped off
> > the table!), have they been proven reliable?  Are
> > there shortcomings on throughput imposed by the USB
> > interface *or* increased rotational delays?
>
> Cooling would be the biggest issue

Since most of the drives run slower than the 3.5" drives (RPM),
is this a consequence of the drives' design?  Physical size?  Or
it's packaging?  I.e., the desire to package tiny drives in tiny
boxes leads to the use of tiny fans that often die...

> Setup a small desk fan near it (Walgreens $10 special, or
> something like that), unless the enclosure has a fan in it

Ah, so the tiniest externals just use passive convection
cooling (through the skin)?

> > Recommendations on particular models?  I'm probably looking
> > for 1-2TB total.  Note that my need is actually only
> > temporary so I'll need to repurpose the drive(s) later
> > (media server?).  As such, this plays a possible role
> > in selecting the device(s) to use.
>
> If you want the most flexibility, buy a drive and an
> enclosure separately.
>
> Here are some drive options (you can change to search to by
> price):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%20103530090%201035507776&ActiveSearchResult=True
>
> The only 2TB drive currently on the market is quite expensive, and is
> not a true 7200 rpm drive (though the density does help make up for
> that a bit):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344
>
> Enclosures (sata - > USB)
>
> If this is temporary this would be useful:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817147082
>
> This enclosure has good reviews:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159098

Eggsellent!  Thanks for the pointers!