[Tfug] Google for Dummies

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Sat May 9 14:40:09 MST 2009

Here are some indvidual responses. Thanks!

Charles

> From: "Stott, Will" <will.stott at ventana.roche.com>

> In my universal set, paradoxes and tautologies don't exist.

Godel's Incompleteness Theorm, the behavior of light, are due examples
of how useful sets may include paradox. And why be so formal, anyway;
trial and error, hunches, passion I suppose are axioms somewhere?
Besides, look at all those good search engines that came out of a totally
illogical set of statements!

> From: keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com>

> Google is built on relevancy. A lot goes into that.

Yeah, like "ching-ching" -sixteen million hits in about 500 milliseconds!

> Maybe what you need is to build a spider than can return what you want.
> Would be a cool project.

That would be really cool.  But I'd have to start with "Google for
Dummies" because I liked, but didn't thunk, this
(which I thought was pretty cool):

> From: Jordan Aberle <jordan.aberle at gmail.com>

> intitle:index.of +”last modified” +”parent directory” +(mp3|wma|ogg

> From: David Cowell <davidwcowell at cox.net>

> especially in search engines... there is always a context of search.

Agreed, context is everything, everywhere, all the time.
Maybe my queries need to be in the Advance Search page,
include whole paragraphs, use the "not operator".  I'm getting it!  Thanks!

> From: Judd Pickell <pickell at gmail.com>

> I would like to point out that there may not actually be any free legal
> version of B's 3rd

Sadly, maybe true. I have found some since, however.  After venting here!

Thanks again!