[Tfug] Ubuntu 7.04 upgrade failure

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 18 15:10:44 MST 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 02:27:05PM -0700, John Karns wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>
> > Are you saying you don't have enough room, in any way, to do this online
> > via apt-get or aptitude?
>
> No, I just didn't want to do an update before having a backup, for
> which I had no archiving space until recently.
>

> >  I recently moved a box from 7.04 up to 8.10,
> > release-by-release, and I ran into a few minor problems.
>
> To overcome the problem that 7.04 archives ar no longer on the
> Canonical / Ubuntu site or the mirrors, did you have to edit anything
> in /etc/apt/sources.list or any of the apt config files
> (/etc/apt.conf.d)?

Ah, I see what you're up to now, OK.  So it goes something like this:
- Edit /etc/apt/sources.list, change all 'feisty' to 'gutsy' (codenames
  for 7.04 and 7.10, respectively)
- apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade (apt-get -d dist-upgrade if you just want to
  download everything and then kick the upgrade when you can babysit).

And deal with any fall-out.  Depending on what packages you have
installed, you might or might not have to do some manual "apt-get remove
package-A, apt-get -f install, apt-get dist-upgrade" repeat until done
then "apt-get install package-A".  Repeat with hardy / intrepid if
desired.

--
Tom Rini